How to apply
Guidance on applying for our undergraduate and postgraduate study programmes for full-time, part-time, distance learning and international students.
- Full-time undergraduate and postgraduate programmes
- Part-time, distance learning and RAD professional award programmes
- Application pack and information
- Vetting and barring scheme and criminal records
- Concessionary entry
- Accreditation of prior learning
- International student application
- Application checklist
full-time undergraduate and postgraduate programmes
For full-time higher education programmes (including the PGCE: Dance Teaching) please apply online at www.ucas.com.
The deadline for all applications via UCAS is 15 January 2016.*
UCAS applicants will need to provide:
- The institution name for the Royal Academy of Dance which is RAD
- The institution code for the Royal Academy of Dance which is R55
- The course code for your chosen programme:
- BA (Hons) Ballet Education: W540
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education: Dance Teaching: WX51
- BA (Hons) Dance Education: W541
- Diploma of Higher Education: Dance Education: W590
- Certificate of Higher Education: Dance Education: W591
*Applicants for the Postgraduate Certificate in Education: Dance Teaching are advised to apply before 1 December 2016 as places are limited and allocated on a first come, first served basis.
The UCAS website provides a step-by-step guide to submitting your application including video guides and advice on completing your personal statement. You can also keep track of the progress of your application. For general enquiries and information on the application procedure please contact UCAS on +44 (0)371 468 0 468 for undergraduate and (0)371 334 4 447 for postgraduate applicants.
If you are an international student you might also be able to get help from your local British Council Office.
part-time, distance learning and RAD professional award programmes
For the following part-time, distance learning and RAD professional award programmes, please apply directly to the RAD by downloading an application form and guidance notes. These should be read carefully before completing your application.
|Programme||Apply by||Apply via|
|Licentiate of the Royal Academy of Dance||20 Jan 2017||Registry|
|Professional Dancers’ Teaching Diploma||29 Jan 2017||Registry|
|MA in Education (Dance Teaching)||30 Apr 2017||Registry|
|BA (Hons) Dance Education (part-time)||30 Apr 2017||Registry|
|Diploma of Higher Education: Dance Education (part-time)||30 Apr 2017||Registry|
|Certificate of Higher Education: Dance Education (part-time)||30 Apr 2017||Registry|
|Diploma in Dance Teaching Studies||1 Aug 2017||Registry|
|Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies – UK students||1 Aug 2017||Registry|
|Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies – International students||1 Aug 2017||RAD National Office|
|Professional Dancers’ Postgraduate Teaching Certificate (Berlin)||1 Sep 2017||
|Professional Dancers’ Postgraduate Teaching Certificate (Sarasota)||1 Sep 2017||
1 Each programme has a limited number of places and therefore early application is recommended.
2 Places on the Postgraduate Certificate in Education: Dance Teaching with QTS are allocated on a first-come basis. You are advised to apply as early as possible to ensure your application is considered.
3 The deadline for submitting video/DVD applications is 1 June 2017.
4 See www.rad.org.uk/about for RAD National Offices contact details.
- Application pack
- Additional information for applicants of the Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies
- Additional information for applicants of the Diploma in Dance Teaching Studies
If you are having difficulty downloading the application form then please contact email@example.com. Completed applications should be sent to: Lead Admissions Officer, Faculty of Education, Royal Academy of Dance, 36 Battersea Square, London, SW11 3RA, UK.
For programmes that require application via RAD National Offices a list of contact details can be found here.
If you are applying for a programme requiring contact with young people and vulnerable adults, you will need to comply with the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006 and any subsequent legislation. This is likely to include an Enhanced Disclosure by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) or equivalent. Application will be made on your behalf by the RAD or by an umbrella organisation.
Applicants outside the UK will need to provide a satisfactory police check or equivalent from their country of residence. For more information please contact the Registry.
Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies
Applicants without formal classical ballet qualifications (Advanced Foundation, Advanced 1, Advanced 2, Intermediate, or an equivalent examination from a recognised dance teaching society) should provide a video/DVD to support their application.
- Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies Concessionary Entry Guidelines
- Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies Concessionary Entry Submission Form
- Payment Form
Diploma in Dance Teaching Studies
Applicants without formal qualifications (the Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies, or an equivalent level 4 dance teaching qualification) should provide a video/DVD and supporting evidence to support their application.
- Diploma in Dance Teaching Studies Concessionary Entry Guidelines
- Diploma in Dance Teaching Studies Concessionary Entry Submission Form
- Payment Form
BA (Hons) Dance Education
Applicants without formal dance qualifications (Intermediate or higher vocational examination in any dance genre from a recognised dance teaching society or A-level dance) should provide a video/DVD to support their application.
If you wish to apply for Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) please read all the following documentation carefully before applying.
For further information including the specific modules summaries for each course please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants whose first language is not English
If you are applying for a programme where an English Language Proficiency test is required, you must achieve one of the following qualifications:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): band 6.5 overall, with a minimum of 6.0 in each of the subtests. The IELTS test must have been taken no earlier than two years before the date of the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies is issued.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): band 7.0 overall, with a minimum of 6.5 in each of the subtests. The IELTS test must have been taken no earlier than two years before the date of the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies is issued.
Some other school-leaving or matriculation certificates contain a compulsory examination in English and these may be taken as equivalent. If you have recently gained another English language qualification, check with the Registry to make sure that it is acceptable.
All students are required to abide by the procedures and regulations of the Royal Academy of Dance and, for validated programmes, the University of Bath. The General Regulations of the Faculty of Education can be found on the Regulations page and are made available to each student upon enrolment.
Before sending your application, it is important that you check the following:
- Have you completed every section of the application form fully and accurately?
- Have you enclosed the Reference form(s) completed and signed by your chosen referee(s)?
- Have you enclosed the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form?
- Have you enclosed copies of your highest dance/dance teaching qualifications?
- Have you enclosed copies of your university entrance examinations?
- If English is your second language, have you completed the appropriate English language test and enclosed the test report with your application?
For any further queries on the application process please contact the Registry.